How is Acupuncture used to treat infertility?
Scientific studies support the use of acupuncture and chinese herbal medicine as a treatment for infertility and other reproductive disorders. This growing body of evidence has shown that acupuncture, and other TCM protocols can be used to help prepare for and enhance conception in ART cycles for IVF, IUI and other ART protocols. Research has demonstrated that acupuncture is an ideal complementary therapy for IVF preparation and to support IVF treatment protocols. Please see the "Fertility Research" page for detailed descriptions of the research that is the basis for our treatment protocols.
Below is an abbreviated list of the physiological processes that TCM is impacting in regards to fertility.
- Improves the function of the ovaries to produce better quality eggs
- Regulates hormones to produce larger numbers of follicles
- Regulates the menstrual cycle
- Decreases high FSH and increases estrogen or progesterone
- Regulates immune system, helpful when autoimmune antibodies are present
- Increases blood flow to the uterus and ovaries thereby increasing both ovarian sensitivity to hormones and the uterine lining for implantation
- Relaxes the patient to induce parasympathetic nervous system dominance
- Lessens many of the unwanted side-effects of ART treatment, such as ovarian hyper-stimulation, irritability, headaches and abdominal pain and bloating
- Mitigates the downstream effects of IVF stimulation in the uterine environment to enhance implantation and ongoing pregnancy rates
- Decreases miscarriage and ectopic pregnancy rates
- Improves semen count and motility, and promotes normal morphology in male factor infertility
- Enhances conception in ART cycles: IUI, IVF, FET, Egg Donor,Surrogacy
- Decreases uterine cramping and contracting after embryo transfer
- Promote a healthy ongoing pregnancy without complications, and a healthy post-partum period